The volunteer programme start date is on the 1st of each month, and departure date is the last day of the month. We offer volunteer positions for a minimum of two weeks up to a maximum of three months.
Opportunities are available all year round; the only time we do not take on volunteers is from the 15th December to 1st February.
- One night’s accommodation in CT on arrival
- Transfers from and to Cape Town international airport
- Transfers to and from Gansbaai (the project site)
- Transport provided for all programme related activities
- Accommodation in our volunteer house
- All food basics
- Welcome pack (including hoodie, t-shirt, cap, buff and shark USB with White Shark footage)
- Waterproof deck boots to use for the duration of your stay
- Trips on our White Shark cage diving tourist boat
- Tagging trips on our research boat
- Opportunities to cage dive with white sharks
- Practical training in all running projects
- Training in fin identification and analysis
- Training in ethical handling, angling and tagging techniques
- Training in boat handling skills
- Outreach activities e.g. beach clean ups and school talks
- Some excursions organised on bad weather days
Not Included In The Package
- Flight ticket
- Visa (if needed, RSA allows most countries to enter on a 90 day tourist visa – we can offer assistance if needed.
- medical and travel insurance
- Any additional lodging in Cape Town prior to the programme or on departure, if required.
All volunteers will be housed in our volunteer house, located just a 10 minute walk or a two minute drive from the harbor we launch from. The house can accommodate 10 volunteers at a time, with between two to four volunteers per room. It is spacious, comfortable and a home away from home. All linen will be provided along with Satellite TV, WiFi, laundry facilities and a cleaning service.
- A trip to Cape Agulhas – the southernmost point of Africa.
- A visit to Betty’s Bay to see the Stony Point penguin colony
- A visit to the local heritage site Klipgat Cave
- Hikes in the local area
- Horse riding trips in the local area
- Shopping excursions and wine tasting in Hermanus or Cape Town
- River boat cruises along Stanford River
- Surfing or SCUBA diving
- Visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium and the Waterfront in Cape Town
- Offshore dive past Cape Point to see blue and mako sharks can be arranged
- Dive to see sevengill sharks in Cape Town can also be arranged
- A trip up the East Coast to do the highest bungee jump in the world
Note that any horse riding tours, SCUBA dives arranged, or equipment rented for surfing etc. will be at the volunteer’s own expense. Personal excursions up the Garden Route or to other tourist attractions are also at your own cost, but don’t hesitate to ask if we can assist with your planning.